Saturday, November 9, 2013

Give Yourself Away - Joni and Friends

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional   

Give Yourself Away

"Whoever tries to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it."  
Luke 17:33b
 
I love books, including some old classics by Andrew Murray and Oswald Chambers. As with anything that's a favorite, I find it hard to let certain books go. I'm afraid I won't get them back. And you know what? Sometimes I don't.
 
At first, that irked me. Long ago I loaned my Bible from high school days to someone. But I can't remember whom. I'd love to have it because it contains my handwritten scribbles. Plus, it was the first book I read in the hospital after I learned to turn pages with a mouth stick. I mentally let go of it when I realized, If that Bible can be used to help bring someone closer to Jesus, then great. That's what a Bible is for; no matter how sentimental it is.
 
Speaking of letting treasures go, the story is told of a missionary who loved her books. Some she gladly loaned, but others -- her favorites -- she kept stored in a footlocker under her bed. One night she heard a scratching sound. After searching, she discovered the noise was coming from her footlocker. When she opened it, she found an enormous pile of dust. Termites had destroyed her precious books. That which she had tried to keep for herself, now belonged to no one.
 
What favorite things do you hold too tightly? Your privacy, your best friend, your weekend time, or your closet? (You wouldn't dare think of giving some of your best things to Goodwill.) Maybe you're holding on to the intimacy of your neighborhood Bible study -- dare you and the group open it up to others?!
___________________________________
We need to remember the lesson learned from that missionary. The Scripture for today tells it like it is. Give yourself away today... you'll never regret it.
 
Lord, I can picture myself holding on to so many things that are important to me. Give me the courage to open my arms, to release what I treasure, and then to enfold the blessings You bring in return.

Blessings,
 
Joni and Friends
www.joniandfriends.org

No comments:

Post a Comment