Wednesday, August 28, 2013

What Have You Got? - Joni and Friends

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional   

What Have You Got?

"The LORD turned to him and said, "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?"           Judges 6:14
 
I learned a lesson early on in my 'career' as a quadriplegic: Work with what you've got. The occupational therapist taught me how to use muscles in a whole new way to make up for ones that were rendered useless. The good nerves in the upper part of my deltoids help me get a lot of work done that would otherwise be the responsibility of my biceps.
 
God's been in the 'occupational therapy' business for ages. He has often come to weak, visionless people and worked with what they had. Whether it was Moses' rod, Samson's jaw bone, or David's sling, God simply took what was made available and showed his people what was possible.
 
To underscore the possibilities and potential, God tells us who's in charge. To simple people like Gideon and Jeremiah, he said, "I'm sending you." That was it. That was all the guarantee they needed. For Gideon, the guarantee would take him to triumph. For Jeremiah, through trials. In these and others, God's commission was sufficient to start and complete the task. No matter how weak or limited God's people are, no matter what little they have to offer, the Lord works wonders with what he's got!
 
God is always commissioning people. He's commissioning you today with his word. If you have doubts about that, consider Jesus' words in John 20:21, "As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." Jesus seeks willing disciples who will yield whatever resources at their disposal to carry out his purposes.
 
__________________________________
So, what have you got? Make the list and show him. Short list? No matter, take it and apply it to the needs and people around you.
 
He'll take care of the rest. That is, after all, his business!
 
Lord, here's my list. You've used rods, slingshots, and loaves in the Bible to do your work. Can you use me? 

Blessings,
 
Joni and Friends
www.joniandfriends.org

No comments:

Post a Comment