Sunday, April 7, 2013

Highs -n- Lows Living with the Disease

Sunday, April 7th
 
After seeing the movie “The Bucket List” with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson years ago, I remember making a mental list of my own bucket items, but at the time I never actually wrote anything down. Truly, it just didn't seem important enough. I knew that the things I wanted to do could change a hundred times over the years so why limit myself to a list when, instead, I could just be open to whatever came along in life...

At some point following my diagnosis, I decided to sit down and really try to create a bucket list thinking it would give me a goal to focus on.  The first few items were fairly obvious for me, all  involved having more time to spend with family and friends... Really, those are the only things that matter on the list, so once again, I didn't bother to write them down...I still don't feel the need to limit my options or worry about what I could miss out on…

I already have lived the majority of items that might be found on a bucket list. I have been to 40 of the 50 United States... I've traveled by airplane, bus, train and car not by ship yet...I have traveled to beautiful places, historic places, places of wonder, and I have definitely seen amazing sites. I have met incredible people from different cultures, listened to their stories and enjoyed their history. I followed my dreams...

Most importantly, I have truly lived and loved and I continue to do so each day! I'm not willing to limit my dreams or experiences to a list that I wrote out of fear of missing out. One thing I know for sure is that I will never feel that I have missed out on this life! Instead, I made it happen. I walked through the doors that opened before me (and there were ones I had to kick down), I took chances on new opportunities and embraced change rather than fearing it. I cannot see any reason to stop now, so I will stay aware and available to new adventures until I am done, and will continue to make life happen in ways that are meaningful to me...

The privilege of a lifetime is to be who you are with God's help...

Another great day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment