Thursday, April 4, 2013

Highs -n- Lows Living with the Disease

Thursday, April 4th

Like most people...I have a routine before leaving the house but my routine includes more than the typical washing my face, brushing my teeth and having breakfast...before I go out I have to prepare myself for the light -- both sunlight and artificial...

In 2012 I developed a cutaneous lupus rash...I had an all-over rash that did not look like hives. At first it started in just one small area of my chest and was diagnosed as fungal. After it spread all over and was biopsied, it was diagnosed as a crossover of cutaneous lupus and DM...

I've always enjoyed the sunlight and being outside ...now I have to dress for the occasion and put on my battle gear...sunblock protection, hat and uv clothing...I don't want the illness to interrupt my life so I do everything in my power to prevent it...

---------------------------------------

Photosensitivity -- abnormal sensitivity to light -- is common in people with cutaneous lupus and DM.  Often, the sensitivity causes skin lesions, rashes or sores, fatigue, and joint pain. And often, going indoors doesn't provide relief. To understand why, it may help to understand the basics of UV lighting -- better known as ultraviolet rays...

The sun radiates a variety of rays, most notably ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) rays. UVA rays are equally intense throughout the day and the year, while UVB rays are significantly stronger in summer, especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Unfortunately, those with DM and lupus can be sensitive to both UVA and UVB rays, though many find relief by avoiding direct sunlight between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. This same sensitivity can extend to indoor fluorescent light...

With the arrival of warmer weather, people with cutaneous lupus, systemic lupus and DM who are light-sensitive are made even more aware of their reaction to sunlight. The summer sunshine can be tempting, but many people with DM and lupus find that any exposure affects them adversely...

Fortunately, the fashion world has responded to the need for sun protection and that means stylish protective clothing that allows those with DM and lupus to cover up fashionably. Retailers sell sun-protective clothing, swimwear, sunglasses, and hats that offer protection for enjoying the great outdoors...

Overcast days and shady areas may seem safer than bright sunlight if you're sun-sensitive, but clouds and shade do not provide protection from UV rays. When indoor protection is necessary, remember to use sunscreen inside and install filters on lighting fixtures and light shields on windows...

There are four ways to protect yourself from UV radiation: Absorb it, avoid it, block it, or reflect it. Sun-protective fabrics differ from typical summer fabrics in several ways: They have tighter weaves, are made from synthetic fibers, and are produced in darker colors. The fabric blocks, the color absorbs or reflects the light, and the chemical additives absorb UV radiation. Are these clothes worth the extra cost? Just ask anyone with sun sensitivity, including those with DM or lupus, and the answer is a resounding YES!

Another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment