Thursday, September 5, 2013

Highs -n- Lows Living with the Disease

Thursday, September 5th

Another beautiful sunny morning!

I continue to have tingling and numbness in my hands, right hip, legs and feet. :-( The pain continues. Yesterday, while soaking in the walk in tub...I had shooting pains going down my right leg again... :-(

This was posted on Inspire Support website...here are the links for Randy Pausch's Last Lecture on the Sarcoidosis site and I watched them today. What an Inspiration.

This is the 10 minute segment he did on the Oprah Show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODHsU3hDo4

If you want to watch the full lecture:
http://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=j7zzQpvoYcQ

One of the questions Randy asks is: "Are you a Tigger or an Eeyore?"

Here was a man dying of pancreatic cancer with a beautiful wife, 3 young kids and all life had to offer and he was a Tigger. He refused to be an Eeyore. And by all accounts he remained a Tigger until his death.

He spoke about having dreams and working hard to make them come true. He spoke about having fun everyday. In short he spoke about living life and not just getting through life.

Admittedly, he had a lot going for him. A great career, a seemingly fair amount of money and he had had a great childhood. But, he was dying. 

I can't make my physical problems go away. I accept them. Yes, they cause physical limitations and at times emotional limitations. :-(

I'm a Tigger by nature. A glass half-full person. I love to laugh and have fun. It comes naturally to me, as naturally as breathing air. And yet, I feel I've let the last year really take me down. :-(

I have wonderful, awesome family and a group of friends that reunites every year.  Getting together opens a beautiful healing space of genuine friendship.  I am so truly blessed with family and Friends. :-)

I can't do all the things I want to, but I can sure do some of the things I want to. And most of all I can adjust my attitude. Yes, the pain gets me down sometimes and so does not working. But I just have to shift my perspective, adjust my sights and aim for the best life I can have given my circumstances. :-)
More gratitude and less bad attitude.

Thanks for all you have all given to me. If you see me acting like Eeyore just give me a swift kick. It's all about the attitude, somedays are better than others, but a good attitude makes all things brighter.
-----------------------
Today's Bible Study

Programming Our Minds

Read | Colossians 3:15-17

The mind is the control tower of life. Decisions determine actions, which in turn affect the immediate and distant future. The person each of us will be 20 years from now is impacted by how we think today. If we want our future self to be pleasing to the Lord, then we must begin at once to program our mind with godly thoughts.

In Romans 12:2 and Ephesians 4:23, Paul tells believers to reject worldly thinking and renew the mind. We have been given the capacity to think as Jesus does—if we submit to the transforming work of the Holy Spirit. The believer should seek the things of God as an act of submission. This means opening our minds only to biblically sound attitudes and philosophies. It’s important that we protect ourselves from the world’s self-serving mindset, because we are to be God’s servants.

A second way to submit is by sifting our thoughts through the Word and will of God. This is a practical step that allows us to identify wrong thinking. We must consider whether an attitude or line of reasoning is pleasing to the Lord and useful for making us into the person He has called us to be. Then, when a thought is unscriptural, we can choose to reject it (2 Cor. 10:5).

Of course, the only way to know if a thought pleases the Lord is to read and meditate upon His Word. In the Bible, God provides examples of righteous living and thinking, and He offers guidance for choosing such patterns. Scripture is the instruction manual for our control tower.

Another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment