Friday, June 28, 2013

Highs -n- Lows Living with the Disease

Friday, June 28th

Another beautiful morning. Highs in the 70's today. :-)

As I wake up to the morning light, I am renewed and ready for a new day-a day filled with hope and promise. So much to look forward to and to be thankful for. :-)

Coming home from the cabin yesterday I saw the sign for the exit to Glenwood.  Several years ago my family went up north together to a lake house in Glenwood.

My mom and dad came back from Arizona for this trip. During our stay, my dad wasn't feeling well so I took him into the emergency room at the Glenwood hospital. After several tests the Dr told us my dad had AML, Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
The Dr sent my dad and his nurse by ambulance to the St. Cloud Hospital.  They weren't sure he was going to survive.  When dad arrived at St Cloud his legs started to swell so big the Dr decided to cut them open to relieve the pressure. They continued to give him high doses of antibiotics to try to get the infection under control.  His body wasn't able to fight any longer.
The team of Drs caring for dad asked him where he wanted to die?  They gave him two weeks to live.  Our family decided to have dad transfered to a hospice faculty in Owatonna.  Dad lived 19 days after he was diagnosed with AML.  It was so hard to see him go but I know I will be reunited with him again one day.

During dads final days I was reminded of his strength and strong faith.  Dad called all of his fiends to say goodbye.  I'm not sure I could do that. :-(

I am thankful for the gift of today!

--------------------------------
Bible Study for Today:

God desires more for us than knowledge and good behavior. He wants us to know Him personally...person to person. You'll never know God intimately by listening to sermons.  Even reading the Bible, on its own, will not achieve this goal.  Although the scriptures are foundational truth and the basis for confirming who God is, intimacy with Him isn't possible unless He reveils Himself to us in the experiences of life.  This means we must be willing to go through difficulty and pain, because some aspects of His nature can be understood only through suffering.  For example, how will we ever learn that he is a Comforter (2 Cor. 1:3-4) if we never experience grief and pain? Those who are willing to walk faithfully with the Lord through the fires of affliction come to know Him in deeper ways and are able to speak with authority concerning His character, because they've experienced His faithfulness.
The Christian life is not ultimately about our comfort or satisfaction.It's about the almighty sovereign God of the universe loving us so much that He's willing to reveal Himself in a very personal way.  We each have a choice: Will we invest our lives in getting to know the Lord, or will we squander the opportunity and live for ourselves?

Another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment