Thursday, June 27, 2013

Highs -n- Lows Living with the Disease

Thursday, June 27th

Another beautiful morning!

Today, Paul and I decided to head home and sleep in our own beds tonight.  We have a wedding and company arriving on Saturday.  Getting home today will give us time to get the house picked up and the lawn mowed.

The boys and Christine haven't had a lot of luck catching fish.They got small northern and bass. No keepers though :-( Hopefully they can catch a couple of big ones before they leave Saturday morning :-)

As I continue to reflect on life...
I've been thinking back to the death of Greg, my first husband, my life was stripped away and I was slapped with new labels. I was a young widow and a single mother of two boys.
"This is not what I signed up for!"

I continued on my journey and met Paul, we married and started our new life together.  After several years Paul was diagnosed with CLL, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.  Paul has done remarkably well.  I pray everyday that God would help us through this and keep his cancer stable.  He has granted me my prayers.  I'm was not ready to lose Paul or to be a widow again.
"This is not what I signed up for!"

"This is not what I've signed up for!" ...I have screamed those words through tears more than once during difficult times in my life.

Now again with the harsh reality hitting us again.  We have been given another difficult diagnosis to deal with...DM, Dermatomyositis and Lupus.  I don't recall many tears right away when given this diagnosis...mercifully, we were numb with shock.  I really didn't know what it was I had.  When we finally got past the shock and started researching and asking questions.
We decided that we shouldn't focus too much on the future it would only paralyze us with fear. Our goal would be simple: Taking it day by day. Trusting God's Plan.

Eighteen years ago, Paul and I promised before God to love each other "in sickness and in health." There were many moments of anger, fear, sadness, and tears.
Yet, I can honestly say that somehow through it all trusting God's sovereignty and goodness helped us accept that this was all part of His plan for us.
Believing God was in control. Although our diagnosis took us by surprise, we agreed that we couldn't expect God to shield us from the diseases that plague the rest of the world. "Why this? Why us? Why now?" are questions that naturally flood our minds in times of crisis, we concluded, "Why not us?"

Paul and I have shared so many special memories.  We may question God at times but we know we have been blessed in so may ways.  Thank You Lord For Being There For Us In Good Times and Bad :-) Amen!

--------------------------------
Today's Bible Study:

A Clear Conscience

Read | Acts 24:10-16

When facing hard decisions, do you pay attention to your conscience? Is trusting this inner voice always wise?

God gave everyone an internal “moral compass.” In fact, reflecting His truth within all men is one way that He reveals Himself to mankind. The conscience is a divine alarm system that warns us of oncoming danger or consequences. Its main purpose is protection and guidance.

But sin warps perception and can lead us astray. So it’s important to understand the difference between following your heart and allowing a clear conscience to help with decisions.

To make a determination, ask, What is the greatest influence on my morality?If the world’s system of what is acceptable has infiltrated your heart, then your conscience cannot be trusted. But if you have allowed God’s Word to permeate and transform your thinking (Rom. 12:2), that inner voice is likely dependable.

The Holy Spirit, along with a divinely informed conscience, guides believers. In order to maintain a healthy internal compass, we should continually meditate on Scripture. The Ten Commandments are a solid basis for morality, and we are wise to internalize them—especially the way that Jesus summarized them: to love God above all else and to love others (Matt. 22:36-40).

What would you say has the greatest impact on your belief system? Is it the truth of Scripture? Or do the world’s standards of right and wrong infect your heart? Almighty God knows what is best for you, His child—and He gave you a conscience to aid in making wise decisions.

Another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment