Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Highs -n- Lows Living with the Disease

Tuesday, February 5th

Today I began my day as any other...I got up, took my medicine, took off my pain patches and went in to Tim and Connies for several cups of coffee and breakfast...another beautiful morning...low temps were in the 40's...highs are in the 70's...:-)

This morning I went to the Muscular Dystrophy Headquarters to obtain as much information as I could...the power of knowledge...I met with one of their representatives...she provided me with printed materials and explained how the MDA works...it was very insightful...to get help I only need to contact our local MD clinic and they will care for me with Drs already trained in treating all of the MD diseases...wow, so glad I found out they're there for me...

After our meeting this morning it started me thinking about how I need to listen to my body and act accordingly...regardless of how well I may look, or how healthy others think I may be, if I'm tired, swollen, or achy...I take care of myself...

I'm setting goals...goals to keep me on the straight and narrow- so that I didn't fall into the trap of just being...I will come up with benchmarks that would motivate me, but didn't interfere with my myopathies...its almost like a reverse "to-do" list, in fact. Instead of listing tasks to be done, you list things that ease your life with DM, anything to make it easier to cope with the symptoms I'm experiencing...because DM has a mind of its own...

My current doctors have played a HUGE role in helping me determine what drugs will help, which will hurt, and when and how best to administer the medication of choice...as my doctor put it, I would eventually be the expert in this disease...it's in my best interest to be informed, educated, and up-to-date on the treatment and research offerings for DM...I am so thankful for my Drs...

Today is another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment