Monday, January 21, 2013

Highs -n- Lows Living with the Disease

Monday, January 21st

Happy MLK Day!

What a morning...so cold,  -7 currently...it hasn't been this cold in 4 years I was told...a great day to stay inside...

I've been thinking about my morning routine...I get up, use the restroom, take off my pain patches, take my medication, put a pot of coffee on, eat breakfast and watch the news...not usually much on for good news...

If someone has the money to start up a new news station....make it a station that shows the good things going on in the world...I know there is a lot of great stories to share...about everyday people...

As day continues....I take medication 5 times during the  day...some of the medication I take for DM are Coticosteroids also known a steroids...don't confuse these medications with the steroids abused by athletes...

Corticosteroids help suppress the over active immune system that is fighting my own cells and organs...

Unfortunately these strong medications have side affects that can cause tissue damage and other infections...colds, flu, shingles, and other infections going around...I've already picked up most of these infections several times since I've been on these medications...

I also have to watch for open sores...the medication causes the healing to be delayed...I get sores in my mouth, on my scalp, and on my hands...I've been lucky they all seem to heal eventually...

Another Great Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment