Sunday, April 6, 2014

Highs -n- Lows Living with the Disease

Another Beautiful Day!  It is going to be a beautiful day with highs in the upper 50's...temperatures are heading in the right direction...loving it.

I'm not who I was...on my way to FPC I was listening to this song on the radio. It's so true, looking back in my life I can see the changes in me.  
I can see where God was working and times when I sit confused at the path I was on... is this from God? What is the purpose of it?  Even in the midst of difficulty or uncertainty I can still say I am so thankful for all I can do...

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Today's Bible Study

The Story of Nicodemus
Charles Stanley
Bible Study: John 3:1-21

He was uber religious, a teacher of the law. And he was convinced that Jesus was sent from God. But Nicodemus was having trouble separating what he’d believed all his life from what Jesus was teaching. Frankly, it’s the trouble we all have with Jesus: separating what we’ve always believed from what He says.

Jesus doesn’t mince words. “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God” (v. 3). It was startling. Nicodemus had always believed that you got into the kingdom by being Jewish and keeping the law. Jesus says, “No, the only way you can get into My kingdom is by getting ‘birthed’ in.” No one enters the kingdom of God by being born into a certain group, being religious, or performing morally for the Lord. We enter physical life through human birth, and the kingdom through spiritual rebirth. Period.

It’s no easier for us than it was for Nicodemus. Grace is counterintuitive, thus confusing. The only answer to spiritual death is spiritual life—not performance. Dead people can neither improve nor perform. That was Jesus’ point.

God’s grace is undeserved, unexpected, and illogical. No one has ever earned it. Not once. Yet, it’s offered freely by God. That’s why it’s so amazing.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

1. If your tradition, history, or religion tells you one thing but Jesus tells you something else, you have found yourself in Nicodemus’s predicament. Which will you choose to believe, and why?

2. Jesus told Nicodemus that simply being religious wasn’t enough for eternal life. How does spiritual rebirth differ from being religious? Why do you think Jesus said being born into a brand-new life was a requirement for entering His new kingdom?

3. Logic and religion seem to insist that we do something to earn eternal life with God. Why do you think we so strongly resist the idea of grace? And why do you think God insists upon grace rather than our performance as the way for us to gain heaven?

Looking forward to another great day....

No comments:

Post a Comment