Monday, October 10, 2016

Highs and Lows Living with the Disease

Another Beautiful Day! It hit 75 today...

After returning from our yearly trip from Arizona in late March I decided to stop taking oxycodone.  I didn't like how the oxycodone made me feel and I had been taking it for almost 4 years already.  It wasn't helping with the pain anymore and I didn't want to increase it.  The DM and the Postherpetic Neuralgia can be very painful so I decided I wanted to see a pain management Dr. to hopefully get the pain under control.
Before going to the pain Dr. I tried other things that I thought might help.  I went for physical therapy and for acupuncture but neither helped.  I think the acupuncture made the pain worse.  The pain Dr talked to me about using a spinal cord stimulator to lessen the pain.  Thursday morning I received two messages from the pain Dr's nurse.  One stating I was scheduled for surgery on Monday,  October 17th. The second asking me to call back so I can schedule a couple other appointments.  I called her back to set up a preop appointment, a postop appointment and an appointment on the Friday following surgery to see how the spinal cord stimulator trial worked.  They give it a week to see how the spinal cord stimulator works before they put the controller in a pocket under my skin.  Once it's under my skin I use a remote control to adjust it.  I will be  limited on what I can do for 6 to 8 weeks if I decide to do complete the stimulator implementation.  Friday morning while I was giving blood I received another message to let me know I was scheduled for a MRI on Monday, October 10th (this morning).  So this morning I ran to Gundersen in LaCrosse, WI at 6:15am for an 7:45am appointment. Tomorrow I run back to Gundersen for the preop and to get the results of the MRI. 

I was really surprised when they scheduled the appointment for the surgery for the Spinal Cord Stimulator trial already.  I don't know how I feel about it.  I'm alittle scared that my body may not heal properly or my body may reject the leds or controller. 
I've  been wondering if the cadaver skin and mesh used for the hernia surgery caused the Dermatomyositis and Lupus.
It is said that Dermatomyositis is brought on by trauma to your body or cancer.  They tested me for cancer and nothing was found at that time.

I am so thankful for all I can do...
God's Peace to you and your family!

1 comment: